Managing Panic, Anxiety and Worry
21 November @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm GMT
No places left on this course
This free course is aimed at people experiencing problems with anxiety in any form, including general anxiety, phobias, excessive worry, panic attacks, health anxiety, social anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Using Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) techniques, the course aims to guide participants through tools and techniques that are helpful in dealing with these difficulties. Different parts of the course will be helpful for different types of anxiety.
The course aims to:
- Help participants understand what anxiety is and why we experience it
- Explain the meaning and causes of the physical symptoms of anxiety
- Teach ways of managing physical symptoms of anxiety using a range of relaxation, breathing and mindfulness techniques
- Explain how our thoughts, beliefs and worries can sometimes contribute to anxiety problems
- Teach ways of managing negative thoughts and worries
- Explain how avoidance can contribute to anxiety and how we can overcome avoidance
- Teach “Graded exposure” – a way of overcoming avoidance and anxiety by using a step-by-step approach
- Discuss the importance of acceptance and tolerance of anxiety and how to manage setbacks and difficulties along the way
This course is suitable for people with:
- Generalised anxiety disorder and excessive worry, Phobias, Panic or symptoms of panic, social anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, health anxiety
This course is not suitable for people with:
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- A mental health diagnosis such as Bipolar Disorder or Personality Disorder
This is a taught course designed to introduce practical strategies to manage your mood, run in a group format, so although there will be some group discussion about the techniques and examples it is up to you how much or how little you choose to take part. We recommend attending all 4 sessions to fully benefit, please discuss with the course facilitators if you have any concerns or see the course FAQ’s on our website.
Please note: There is a small car park on site and on-street parking. Disabled access and facilities are available – please let us know before the start of the course if these are required. The children’s centre is by Frogwell Primary School, for Satnav’s follow directions to here.
Please note that this course is only available for people who are over the age of 16 and registered with a GP in Wiltshire (excluding Swindon area). If you have any queries about this, please contact the Wiltshire IAPT main office on 01380 731335.
Courses can either be booked over the phone or via the button above. All our courses are released for booking 4 weeks before the start date. Our admin team are available weekdays, 9am-5pm and will be happy to assist you in booking on to your chosen course and answer any questions you may have.
Please note: You must be booked onto a course to attend. You are welcome to bring a friend or relative for support, but they must also be booked onto the course due to limited spaces.