- This event has passed.
Panic, Anxiety and Worry
3 May @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm BST
This is a four week course starting on the 3rd of May, from 6:30-8:30pm
No places left on this course
This free course is aimed at people experiencing problems with anxiety in any form, including general anxiety, phobias, excessive worry, panic attacks, health anxiety, social anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Different parts of the course will be helpful for different types of anxieties.
The course aims to:
- Help participants understand what anxiety is and why we experience it
- Explain the meaning and causes of the physical symptoms of anxiety
- Teach ways of managing physical symptoms of anxiety using a range of relaxation, breathing and mindfulness techniques
- Explain how our thoughts, beliefs and worries can sometimes contribute to anxiety problems
- Teach ways of managing negative thoughts and worries
- Explain how avoidance can contribute to anxiety and how we can overcome avoidance
- Teach “Graded exposure” – a way of overcoming avoidance and anxiety by using a step-by-step approach
- Discuss the importance of acceptance and tolerance of anxiety and how to manage setbacks and difficulties along the way
This course is appropriate for people with:
Generalised anxiety disorder and excessive worry, phobias, panic or symptoms of panic, social anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder, health anxiety.
This course is not appropriate for people with:
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
This is a taught course, run in a group format, so although there will be some group discussion it is up to you how much or how little you choose to take part.
Please note that this course is only available for people who are registered with a GP in Wiltshire (excluding Swindon area). If you have any queries about this, please contact the Wiltshire IAPT main office on 01380 731335.
Courses can either be booked over the phone or via the button below. All our courses are released for booking 4 weeks before the start date. Our admin team are available weekdays, 9am-5pm and will be happy to assist you in booking on to your chosen course and answer any questions you may have.